Monday, June 13, 2016

- Clarksville, Tennessee

Hello Everyone,

This has been a pretty cool week! I got to go on exchanges to the Sango area. That was a great experience. Elder Jessop is an amazing missionary and I had a really fun time working with him. We also got to ride our bikes! I have not had much chance to ride for a little while, so this was a fun change of pace. We rode about 24 miles in one day. It was sore and exhausting, but worth it. The best part is where we rode to:

Elder Basham on Basham Lane in Basham Land :-)

Pretty cool right! Elder Basham on Basham Lane. The best part is, this is not a coincidence. This isn't just some random sign in a tiny town in Tennessee, this is the Basham land. In 1909, my great grandfather Henry Rankin Basham was born right here in St Bethlehem, Montgomery, Tennessee. There was a farm here that they owned and worked on until they left for Detroit. Unfortunately, I do not have the map of the farm or any photos with me now. And all of it is gone now. Like all farms, it is now a housing development.

I have had a lot of fun over the last week looking into my family history. It is probably the most fun thing ever. I found out that Henry Basham and his two parents are buried in a cemetery right by our apartment. Hopefully I'll get to visit that while I am here sometime. Also, there is a small family cemetery where many other of my ancestors are buried just 14 miles south of here. It is cool being in the place where my family was all born and raised and owned land. I like being able to read their stories and see their pictures. I think it is the coolest thing. Everyone should take the opportunity to go to www.familysearch.org. It is completely free and a really fun time.

Anyway, I hope you all have a great week! I love you guys

Elder Basham

P.S. Since we are taking pictures of road signs, this is me under the name of sanders. If you get this reference please let me know and I will be extremely happy.





No comments:

Post a Comment