Monday, October 10, 2016

Goats! - Lewisburg, Tennessee

Hello everyone!

This week we got to go to the goat festival. It was probably my favorite thing I have done on my mission so far. We had a booth right at the entrance and across from the petting zoo. They had baby goats, a camel, and a zebra. So many members helped us throughout the day and we were able to teach tons of people. We already have one baptismal date from the people we met and a list of almost 20 self-referrals to contact. The Spanish sisters also helped out and were able to find several Spanish speaking families for their teaching pool. It was an absolute blast talking and eating funnel cakes all day while doing missionary work. I am fairly certain Hermana Hill and I each ate about 5 pounds of junk food throughout the day while talking about how Arizona is the greatest place on earth. I had a terrible sugar crash that night, but in the end we gave out over 300 books and pamphlets.


Elder Basham and Elder Thompson at the Lewisburg Goat Festival

Also I did have a great time at the fair. There were tons of people all lined up to watch the goat judging and auctions. There were a lot of seven year old kids bringing in goats bigger than themselves. That was very cute to see. Of course though, the first thing I had to do was find the beekeeper and buy some honey, so that is exactly what I did. There is nothing better than local raw honey, especially since it helps with allergies. I also was handed this little tiny bottle when I asked for hot sauce with my food. It is so cute I nearly died.






We had a really awesome miracle where an investigator decided he wanted to talk to us and we knocked on his door literally 5 seconds later. He thought it was the coolest thing ever. He was literally jumping up and down and yelling thank you up to God. For a long time he has struggled with feeling that God is actually listening to him and will answer his prayers. This really changed his mind and since then he has just been so much happier. Him and his son have been praying each night and can feel the answers. Last night we visited him again and read him Alma 32:27 and he really loved it. He asked me to read it again and he was just shocked at how much it applied to him. He really has the "desire to believe" and wants to read the whole chapter now to learn how to grow that faith. It is awesome!

I am really grateful for this fantastic week and all of the miracles that happened along the way including a new investigator who had already read up to the book of Alma and brought her friend to our second lesson so she could get a book too. I know that the lord's hand really is in this work and he loves the people of Lewisburg Tennessee. I am grateful to be part of this fantastic work and to have a front row seat in each of these miracles. I love you all and hope you have a great week!

Elder Basham

PS. Since coming to Lewisburg I have learned about the "War of Northern Aggression." I had never heard anyone call it that before and was kinda surprised at the version of the story I heard. They have a confederate statue in the town square. It is interesting how differently the people see history here.

No comments:

Post a Comment