Monday, June 5, 2017

Transfers - McMinnville, Tennessee

Hello everyone! 


You will never guess what is happening! I am staying in McMinnville again. This will put me here for about six months! That is really pretty exciting. This has been an amazing ward and I love serving here. My companions Elder Villanueva and Elder Carlson will be leaving to the Hopkinsville Kentucky Zone. Elder Carlson just keeps bouncing back between there and here. I will be receiving Elder Hlebasko. It's pronounced like Tabasco but with an L and a silent H. I have been told that the H stands for Happy so I am excited. Here is a picture of our district. 




Elder Neil L Andersen asked us all to share with you the conversion stories of our mission, regardless of whether or not I taught them personally. As I think about this counsel I feel that it is very inspired. There is nothing quite so sweet as the story of someone finding new the joy of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that sharing these stories will help you all feel the love of God and see the light of Christ more. This letter from my mission president is the most perfect place to start. I love you all and hope you have an amazing week!

Elder Basham 

Dear Elders and Sisters,

One Facebook post. One conversation. One small act of courage. One family baptized and on the path to the temple to be sealed for eternity.

"Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise." (Alma 37:6)

"That the fulness of my gospel might be proclaimed by the weak and the simple unto the ends of the world..." (D&C 1:23)

Last weekend I was blessed to attend the baptism for the Tidwell family in the Dickson ward -- mother, father, daughter and son were all baptized. This is the family that was found by Elder Crawford's grandmother, Patricia Ironcloud, who lives in Montana. She posted a simple picture of a heart that showed up in Sister Tidwell's Facebook feed about two months ago. That one Facebook post led to a conversation, in the course of which they realized that the Tidwells lived in Dickson....the very town of 15,000 people where Grandma Ironcloud's grandson was serving his mission. Grandma then courageously invited Sister Tidwell to meet her grandson and his companion. She agreed. The missionaries visited and began teaching the family. Their hearts had been prepared. They were repentant. They received the Spirit and the truths that the Spirit testified to their hearts. And they were baptized.

Grandma Ironcloud skyped in for the baptism. I saw her face on the iPad when her grandson stepped down into the waters of baptism to perform the baptismal ordinance....there was joy in her eyes, as she became emotional at the sight. I will always remember that moment.

Over the last week, I've reflected on the power of one Facebook post. One conversation. One small act of courage. These small and simple acts led to a family repenting, being baptized, and receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost. This is why we are here. We are here because our Heavenly Father is preparing His children in every area of our mission to receive His love and truth, to repent, and to be baptized.

By small and simple things are great things brought to pass. If you ever feel small, insignificant or incapable of assisting Heavenly Father in this work, please remember that we all feel that way...and we are all that He has. He already told us that the fulness of His gospel would be proclaimed by the weak and simple. We are never too weak, never too simple, never too broken, for Heavenly Father to perform His work through us. He just requires our willing hearts and minds, our best efforts to work and obey and repent, our faithful attitudes, and our courage. He does the rest. He always has, and He always will.

Love,
President Stone

No comments:

Post a Comment