Monday, May 2, 2016

- Green Hills, Tennessee

Hello everybody!

First of all, I would like to talk about something I have been thinking about for years. Do you know how every time you eat delicious flavored chips, the flavoring powder gets all over your fingers. It makes a giant mess and then you can't touch anything until you go wash your hands. It ruins books, electronics, doorknobs, faucets, and everything else. It totally ruins the fun of eating Doritos, Cheetos, cheddar flavored anything, and all kinds of other delicious snacks. However, there is a solution: chopsticks. That is right. If you eat your flavored snacks with chopsticks you get absolutely nothing on your fingers. That means you can eat a whole bowl of cheddar Chex mix while reading the bible and still not ruin those really thin, gold leaf pages. Also, chopsticks are incredibly funtastic and make everything* taste better. 
*Does not include apple pie or mashed potatoes



We had zone conference this week. It is president and sister Andersen's last zone conference with us. They will be leaving in July and we will be getting president Stone. Apparently he is a really great guy and about half our ward already knows him so it will probably be all good. Anyway it was so great to hear their testimonies and feel of the love that they have for us. It is so amazing the sacrifice they make for three years to help us be successful missionaries. I cannot even imagine how difficult it must be to manage 200 young adults going through the most stressful times of their life. I am grateful for all they have done for me in their time here. 

On Saturday we volunteered at the Nashville marathon with our ward. We were at the third mile passing out water to the runners. It was actually a pretty fun service project. We saw tons of people we know running the race. Our stake president was right at the beginning going for the 2 hour marathon but he still ran over and talked to us for a whole two seconds. It was funny because after people would run past us you could hear them saying things like, "Did you see the Mormons?" Also I got to taste lemon Gatorade at 5 times the regular concentration. It was just as crazy as it sounds. 

We met a new investigator this week. He came up to us to inform us that Matthew 24 was already fulfilled and there is not going to be another coming of Christ. For once in my life, I was actually able to use my knowledge of dualism and types/foreshadows. Then I got to talk all about 2 Nephi and the prophecies of Isaiah and Nephi concerning the second coming. It was pretty cool. 2 Nephi is my favorite book but nobody ever really talks about it except at a college. It was fun getting to share that with someone who was actually interested. Now he wants to read the whole Book of Mormon. 

Which brings me to my message for the day, which is that 2 Nephi is actually really important. As you know, the purpose of the Book of Mormon is "to show unto the remnant of the house of Israel what great things the Lord hath done for their fathers; and that they may know the covenants of the Lord, that they are not cast off forever--And also to the convincing of the Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God, manifesting himself unto all nations" (Book of Mormon, Title Page). The book of 2 Nephi contains the testimony and prophecies of three great prophets all testifying that Jesus is the Christ and the Lord remember his covenants. Nephi, Jacob, and Isaiah all saw Christ hundreds of years before he was born and gave us their witnesses of this - fulfilling the divine law of witnesses, as we read in chapter 11

2 And now I, Nephi, write more of the words of Isaiah, for my soul delighteth in his words. For I will liken his words unto my people, and I will send them forth unto all my children, for he verily saw my Redeemer, even as I have seen him.
3 And my brother, Jacob, also has seen him as I have seen him; wherefore, I will send their words forth unto my children to prove unto them that my words are true. Wherefore, by the words of three, God hath said, I will establish my word. Nevertheless, God sendeth more witnesses, and he proveth all his words.

I would exhort you all to take the time to read this book and feel the spirit from these three great testimonies. Anyway have a fantastic week and know that I love you all. 


Elder Basham 

One more picture:


No comments:

Post a Comment