Monday, July 4, 2016

1 Nephi 13:10-19 - Clarksville, Tennessee

Happy Independence Day!

Do you want to know something crazy? This transfer is already over! Elder McKown is going home tomorrow and I will be receiving Elder Waite. This was the fastest six weeks of my entire life. Some of the days felt like they took years to get through, but when I look back on it all, I can clearly remember my first day in Clarksville as if it were yesterday. This is crazy! Everyone keeps telling me that time moves faster the longer you are out. If this keeps up, I feel like I might blink and find myself on a plane. Fortunately I have over a year left to accomplish something awesome. Anyway, here are some pictures from this transfer:



Elder Lansberry is in my district again. It is pretty awesome.
 Only this time instead of him being my zone leader,
 it is the other way around. That didn't stop
 him from picking me up again.

Daine and Jomila were baptized my first week here. I have had many opportunities to teach them and get to know them since. It is amazing what the Holy Ghost is doing in their lives. They strive to help each other become better each day and their home is a holy place. Their children love the scriptures and praying. Even though it is only a short while they have had the gospel, the whole family has applied it in such a way that it is truly part of their lives.

Elder Jessop's glasses are not anywhere near
as crazy as Katie's, so I could look through
 them without making a weird squinty face.

Anyway, I had a rather cool experience when studying the other day. I was reading the general conference from April 2015. I really love this conference a lot. I have listened to it many many times and learned so many precious truths. It has reached the point where as I read, I hear the speaker's voices and see their faces. I know how they say each line and what it means to them. As I thought about this, my thoughts turned to the savior. I began to ask myself questions.

Do I know the savior in this way? As I read the scriptures, do I hear His voice? Do I know what the words mean to Him? Have I spent sufficient time reading and pondering the words of Christ to know and love Him. Can I hear what He is saying to me in the scriptures? Have I given proper time and attention to the sacred text of the New Testament which contains the life and ministry of the savior? Am I willing and able to learn from Him?

As I pondered, I realized I need to make a few changes in my study. I am grateful the Lord helped me see this, and I know it will help me draw closer to Him. I was also happy to realize all the things I am already doing well, how much I have learned, and how much I already have come to know and love my savior. I hope all of you find joy and knowledge in studying the scriptures and find yourself closer to Christ each day. May we all have the strength to make the changes we need to get even closer to Him. I close with my witness that the savior lives and loves us. He has given us His word that we may "know ... the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom [He] hast sent" (John 17:3). I testify that the bible is true and contains the teachings of our Lord. I testify that the Book of Mormon is truly another testament of Jesus Christ and it is a true gift from heaven. I leave this testimony with you in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

I love you all,
Elder Basham

No comments:

Post a Comment